Camps in Your Community
|2023 Camps||The Secret of the Sphinx||The Call of the Matterhorn||The Vanishing of the Jolly Roger|
|June 12–16, 2023||Cedar Rapids||Coralville (full!)|
|June 19–23, 2023||Mt. Pleasant||Greenfield||Oelwein|
|June 26–30, 2023||Williamsburg||Wellman||Coralville (full!)|
|July 10–14, 2023||Cedar Rapids||Storm Lake||Orange City|
|July 17–21 2023||Toledo||Muscatine||Creston|
|July 24–28, 2023||Okoboji||Marshalltown||Coralville (full!)|
|July 31–Aug. 4, 2023||Tipton||Coralville||Washington|
|August 7–11, 2023||Coralville||Webster City||Eldora|
Who We Are
Footliters Traveling Playhouse is a touring program of Young Footliters Youth Theatre. Together with master teaching artists, we're creating engaging theatre experiences for students across Iowa. Our week-long camps are open to students of all backgrounds, experience levels, and training.
Can Footliters Traveling Playhouse come to our community?
Yes! We'd be honored to help you reach students with meaningful and positive theatre experiences! We're available to travel to almost any community in Iowa.
What does Footliters Traveling Playhouse provide?
- Three extraordinary teaching artists with training and experience in teaching theatre to children.
- Everything necessary to produce the show - costumes, scenery, props, scripts, music, and more!
- The script and score of an original musical, designed to provide highly educational experiences for students aged 7-15.
- 20 hours of rehearsal, Monday through Friday mornings - we promise it's enough to put on a great show!
- 1 performance on Friday evening for your whole community (you can sell tickets or invite families).
- Show t-shirts for your students, if you choose to order them.
- A positive, supportive environment for students of all experience levels to work together, build confidence, and gain performance skills.
What do communities provide?
We're flexible! If you have unusual spaces, challenges, or questions, let's talk. We want to bring children's theatre programs to you, even if it's tricky!
- A stage-style venue for rehearsals and performance. School auditoriums, performing arts centers, and community theatres work well. Your venue will need to have a sound system that can be used for playing our music.
- A connected large rehearsal space, such as a lobby, classroom, gymnasium, or multi-purpose room.
- A sponsoring / contracting organization, such as a theatre, school, or local nonprofit organization. You'll contract with and pay Footliters Traveling Playhouse directly. You can set your own registration fees, ticket sales, event sponsors, the sky's the limit!
- If your community is more than a one hour drive from Coralville, you'll provide housing for the teaching artists.
- You'll provide one technician on Friday who is familiar with your venue and can operate some basic light and sound cues for the show.
- Each student will provide some basic costume pieces they already have in their closets, such as shoes, pants, and undergarments.
- You'll be responsible for advertising the performance and selling tickets (if you choose to sell). We have ready-made graphics and a marketing plan that can help you be successful!
What does all this cost?
We believe in making theatre affordable to communities of all sizes. In 2022 the cost to contract Footliters Traveling Playhouse is $2,950. Other community costs may include artist housing and show t-shirts, if you choose to order shirts. If this number looks scary or insurmountable, please talk with us! We do this all over the state and we know lots of ways that local communities can raise revenue to balance the budget and make more theatre possible!
How do we book a date?
We've still got some openings in Summer 2022 and are now taking bookings for Summer 2023 for our productions of The Secret of the Sphinx and The Call of the Matterhorn! To explore dates or request a booking, email Evan Hilsabeck or call 319.248.9371. We'd love to speak with you!